MAKE OR DO
'Do' for Activities
Use the verb 'do' to express daily activities or jobs. Notice that these are usually activities that produce no physical object.
do homework; do housework; do the ironing; do the dishes; do a job
'Do' for General Ideas
Use the verb 'do' when speaking about things in general. In other words, when we do not exactly name an activity. This form is often used with the words 'something, nothing, anything, everything, etc.'
I'm not doing anything today.
He does everything for his mother.
She's doing nothing at the moment.
Important Expressions with 'Do'
There are a number of standard expressions that take the verb 'do'. These are standard collocations (verb + noun combinations) that are used in English.
do one's best; do good; do harm; do a favour; do business
'Make' for Constructing, Building, Creating
Use 'make' to express an activity that creates something that you can touch.
make food; make a cup of tea / coffee; make a mess
Important Expressions with 'Make'
There are a number of standard expressions that take the verb 'make'. In a number of cases the verb 'do' seems more appropriate. These are standard collocations (verb + noun combinations) that are used in English.
make plans; make an exception; make arrangements; make a telephone call; make a decision
make a mistake; make noise; make money; make an excuse; make an effort
1. When I grow up, I want to have a job that allows me to ______________a lot of money.
2. We would be very happy if the countries in the Middle East _______________peace.
3. I always _______my best.
4. I shall ______________all the arrangements for you.
5. This has nothing to _____________with you.
6. The British like to ________________business with the Americans.
7. When there is no food to eat, everyone has to _______________without.
8. The President ________________an excellent speech yesterday.
9. I hate it when my little brother _________________fun of me.
10. All soldiers must ________________their duty.
11. I think the airplane leaves at 8 a.m., but you had better ______________sure.
12. I have nothing to ________________tomorrow afternoon. Let's go to the cinema!
13. At the end of each holiday, I always think it wouldn't ______________me any harm to have one more week off.
14. Have you ______________your homework?
15. How do you ___________________?